Film Camps & Clubs
The mission of The Grand Cinema’s education programming is to grow and nurture the agency, critical thinking, technical skills, and expression of filmmakers, with a guiding focus to serve young, underserved emerging artists.
Our programs include film clubs, summer camps, and filmmaker workshops.
These opportunities connect youth ages 10-20+ with the art of film as a means to think critically and tell their own stories. Participating youth develop 21st Century Skills such as leadership, collaboration, and technological and technical skills.
SUMMER FILM CAMPS
Registration is available now; do not delay, film camp sessions tend to sell out early.
Save the Dates
- JUNE 25 - 29, 2018: Beginners Session 1, ages 10 - 14, 9 AM - 4 PM daily
- JULY 9 - 13, 2018: Beginners Session 2, ages 10 - 14, 9 AM - 4 PM daily
- JULY 23 - 27, 2018: Advanced* Session 3, all ages, 9 AM - 4 PM daily
- JULY 30 - AUGUST 3, 2018, Advanced* Session 4, all ages, 9 AM - 4 PM daily
- New! AUGUST 20 - 24, 2018, Grown Up Film Camp Session 5, ages 18+, daily times TBA. This film camp is open to adults ages 18 and over and will be geared toward those with little to no film experience. If you want to attend Grown Up Film Camp, take a moment to share your preference for our daily schedule here.
We're hiring! If you have filmmaking experience, you may have what it takes for a Camp Filmmaker Mentorship or Volunteer Production Assistant position. Learn more here.
Film Camp Scholarships
WEEKLY FILM CAMP SCHEDULE
- MONDAY: Screenwriting and storyboard workshop with an exploration of storytelling through film.
- TUESDAY: Hands-on training for various aspects of filmmaking (how to use the digital camera, lighting, sound, etc.) Break into production teams and begin story development and pre-production.
- WEDNESDAY & THURSDAY: Continue filming and begin post-production and editing.
- FRIDAY: Complete post-production and share completed work with friends and family at a special screening including filmmaker Q&As and awards.
Other Educational Programs at The Grand
EDUCATION OUTREACH GOALS
- Support and guide the collaborative creation of film and digital media that shares underrepresented stories from aspiring and emerging filmmakers.
- Provide a safe and sustainable environment for emerging filmmakers where they can find support, opportunity, and an outlet for creative expression.
- Build and activate a network of professional and amateur filmmakers, partners, and businesses who support The Grand’s outreach and advocate for growing a filmmaking and production community and economy in Tacoma and Pierce County. .