Film Camps & Clubs
The mission of The Grand Cinema’s education programming is to grow and nurture the agency, critical thinking, technical skills, and expression of filmmakers, with a guiding focus to serve young, underserved emerging artists.
Our programs include an after-school film club, on-site summer camps, and filmmaker workshops. These opportunities connect youth ages 10-20+ with the art of film as a means to think critically and tell their own stories. Participating youth develop 21st Century Skills such as leadership, collaboration, and technological and technical skills.
2017 FILM CAMP DATES & REGISTRATION
- SESSION 1: AGES 10-14, 06/26/17-06/30/17
- SESSION 2: AGES 10-14, 07/10/17-07/14/17
- SESSION 3: ALL AGES ADVANCED*, 07/24/17-07/28/17
- SESSION 4: ALL AGES ADVANCED*, 07/31/17-08/04/17
*ADVANCED requires previous Film Camp experience.
Cost: $300 for each session; $275 for members of The Grand Cinema (discount will be applied at checkout).
Limited scholarships are available. Click here to apply.
The weekly film camp schedule
- MONDAY: Screenwriting and storyboard workshop with an exploration of storytelling through film.
- TUESDAY: Hands-on training for various aspects of filmmaking (how to use the digital camera, lighting, sound, etc.) Break into production teams and begin story development and pre-production.
- WEDNESDAY & THURSDAY: Continue filming and begin post-production and editing.
- FRIDAY: Complete post-production and share completed work with friends and family at a special screening including filmmaker Q&As and awards.
Looking for a summer job or volunteer opportunity?
Education Outreach with The Grand CinemaIn 2015, Board leadership was inspired and ready to support staff in plans to expand education. This expansion was implemented because The Grand had proven success through three years of film camps; and because leadership recognized their responsibility: organizations at every level of the film industry can address the industry’s systemic lack of diversity by championing equity, investing in talent, sharing underrepresented stories, and strengthening our creative industry at the local level.
Education Outreach Goals
- Support and guide the collaborative creation of film and digital media that shares underrepresented stories from aspiring and emerging filmmakers.
- Provide a safe and sustainable environment for emerging filmmakers where they can find support, opportunity, and an outlet for creative expression.
- Build and activate a network of professional and amateur filmmakers, partners, and businesses who support The Grand’s outreach and advocate for growing a filmmaking and production community and economy in Tacoma and Pierce County.