Film Camps & Clubs
The mission of The Grand Cinema's education programming is to grow and nurture the agency, critical thinking, technical skills, and expression of filmmakers, with a guiding focus to serve young, underserved emerging artists.
Our programs include film clubs, summer camps, and filmmaker workshops.
These opportunities connect youth ages 10-20+ with the art of film as a means to think critically and tell their own stories. Participants develop 21st Century Skills such as leadership, collaboration, and technological and technical skills.
For the summer of 2018, we hosted four film camps for youth, and one for adults. See the films our students created on The Grand Cinema's Youtube profile here.
FILM CAMP DATES
- Jun 24 - 28, 2019: Beginners Session 1, ages 10 - 14
- Jul 8 - 12, 2019: Beginners Session 2, ages 10 - 14
- Jul 22 - 26, 2019: Advanced Session 3, all ages (up to 18)
- Jul 29 - Aug 2, 2019: Advanced Session 4, all ages (up to 18)
*FYI for members: the member discount will be applied after you select the session(s).
Limited scholarships are available. Applications can be filled out in person at the box office, or online: APPLY ONLINE
STAY IN THE KNOW
Interested in learning about Tacoma Film Camp and other opportunities? Sign up for email updates here.
WEEKLY FILM CAMP SCHEDULE
- MONDAY: Screenwriting and storyboard workshop with an exploration of storytelling through film.
- TUESDAY: Hands-on training for various aspects of filmmaking (how to use the digital camera, lighting, sound, etc.) Break into production teams and begin story development and pre-production.
- WEDNESDAY & THURSDAY: Continue filming and begin post-production and editing.
- FRIDAY: Complete post-production and, for youth camp only, share completed work with friends and family at a special screening including filmmaker Q&As and awards.
Thank you to our Sponsor
For 2017, 2018, and 2019, Tapco Credit Union is a proud supporter of Tacoma Film Camp and see this partnership as an opportunity to support their mission of "Improving lives by partnering with families to reach their goals." Together with their members and community partners, Tapco is committed to making a positive impact in our community. Learn more here.
Other Educational Programs at The Grand
- Additional education programming available for all ages includes:
- free workshops through the Tacoma Film Festival;
- our bi-monthly Science on Screen program featuring lively lectures conducted by an expert before the screening of a film;
- Film in Tacoma, a professional learning and networking program for filmmakers; and
- weekly forums led by facilitators where our audiences discuss a film guided by the goal to deepen our understanding of ourselves and others through the art of film.
EDUCATION OUTREACH GOALS
- Support and guide the collaborative creation of film and digital media that shares underrepresented stories from aspiring and emerging filmmakers.
- Provide a safe and sustainable environment for emerging filmmakers where they can find support, opportunity, and an outlet for creative expression.
- Build and activate a network of professional and amateur filmmakers, partners, and businesses who support The Grand’s outreach and advocate for growing a filmmaking and production community and economy in Tacoma and Pierce County. .