Film Camps & Clubs
The mission of The Grand Cinema's education programming is to grow and nurture the agency, critical thinking, technical skills, and expression of filmmakers, with a guiding focus to serve young, underserved emerging artists.
These opportunities connect youth ages 10-20+ with the art of film as a means to think critically and tell their own stories. Participants develop 21st Century Skills such as leadership, collaboration, and technological and technical skills.
In Film Camp, students work in film crews of 5, supported by a filmmaker mentor and production assistant.
Together they develop and create a complete short film in just one week, presenting their finished work to family and friends. More details below.
See past films our students created on The Grand Cinema's Youtube profile here.
FILM CAMP DATES
We have poStponed announcing film camp dates for Summer 2021. WHILE we do anticipate having film camp THIS YEAR, DUE TO THE UNCERTAINTY OF COVID-19 AT THIS TIME WE are uncertain OF the date(s) and whether THE CAMP will CONTINUE TO be IN-PERSON OR IF THIS YEAR'S CAMP WILL BE virtual INSTEAD.
ONCE THE DATES AND LOCATION (DIGITAL OR OTHERWISE) HAVE BEEN DECIDED, THE INFORMATION WILL BE PUBLISHED HERE, AS WELL AS IN THE WEEKLY EMAIL NEWSLETTER AND ON OUR SOCIAL MEDIA. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
WEEKLY FILM CAMP SCHEDULE
- MONDAY: Screenwriting and storyboard workshop with an exploration of storytelling through film.
- TUESDAY: Hands-on training for various aspects of filmmaking (how to use the digital camera, lighting, sound, etc.) Break into production teams and begin story development and pre-production.
- WEDNESDAY & THURSDAY: Continue filming and begin post-production and editing.
- FRIDAY: Complete post-production and, for youth camp only, share completed work with friends and family at a special screening including filmmaker Q&As and awards.
Thank you to our SponsorS
Other Educational Programs at The Grand
- Additional education programming available for all ages includes:
- free workshops through the Tacoma Film Festival;
- our bi-monthly Science on Screen program featuring lively lectures conducted by an expert before the screening of a film;
- Film in Tacoma, a professional learning and networking program for filmmakers; and
- weekly forums led by facilitators where our audiences discuss a film guided by the goal to deepen our understanding of ourselves and others through the art of film.
EDUCATION OUTREACH GOALS
- Support and guide the collaborative creation of film and digital media that shares underrepresented stories from aspiring and emerging filmmakers.
- Provide a safe and sustainable environment for emerging filmmakers where they can find support, opportunity, and an outlet for creative expression.
- Build and activate a network of professional and amateur filmmakers, partners, and businesses who support The Grand’s outreach and advocate for growing a filmmaking and production community and economy in Tacoma and Pierce County.