MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS INTERN
Part time, unpaid positions available on a rotating, seasonal basis.
Accepting Applications for Tacoma Film Festival / Fall Internships
Position reports to the Assistant Executive Director (Engagement & Education) and Marketing Manager
The Grand Cinema seeks qualified interns to join our Marketing & Communications department. Our Marketing & Communications team supports the mission of The Grand to engage the community with quality film art, and seeks an intern who can participate in various stages of marketing campaigns including social media engagement, copy writing, target market research, grassroots marketing, street team action, design creation, and in theater advertising.
The Marketing & Communications Intern should be prepared to work autonomously in a fast-paced environment, and will finish the internship having gained experience in various aspects of film exhibition marketing at an outreach-focused nonprofit arts organization.
Hours: 10–15 hours per week between the hours of 9:30 AM to 5:30 PM Monday – Tuesday, Thursday – Friday.
Pay: This position is unpaid, but the Intern shall receive one "volunteer" admission pass for The Grand per shift worked (good for any regular movie screening for the intern), plus free popcorn and coffee each shift. Academic credit may also be earned if student initiates such an agreement with his or her school.
In Theater Marketing:
- Assist in the creation of signage and digital presentations
- Assist in maintaining collateral and merchandise displays as needed
- Update various marketing images using InDesign or Photoshop
- Data entry
- Assist in managing email subscribers
- Assist in the creation of email content and campaigns
Social Media & Earned Media:
- Assist in the creation of content for Facebook posts
- Help draft copy for press releases
- Assist in the fulfillment of marketing and sponsorship requirements
- Promote events on community calendars online
- Assist in distributing marketing materials
- Occasionally attend community events representing The Grand Cinema
- Help identify target organizations, groups, and individuals relevant to specific films
- Draft outreach messages related to films and events hosted by The Grand
Tracking & Miscellaneous
- Seek and analyze competitor marketing on and offline
- Assist in measuring growth metrics for social media profiles and email lists
- Other Duties as Assigned
*The above list reflects marketing support work that is needed, but it is not expected that all the above tasks will be completed within 10-15 hours each week.
- Excellent writing skills
- Strong Academic Performance Record
- Knowledge of communication principles
- At least minimal familiarity with InDesign and Photoshop
- Ability to work autonomously to complete assigned tasks and seek clarification as needed
- Two positive recommendations from community or academic sources
- Reliable transportation to get to and from the cinema on time for scheduled shifts
- Interest in working in fields of marketing or communications
- Interest in movies and independent films
- Familiarity with Tacoma based organizations, groups, clubs, etc.
- Availability Monday through Friday with some weekend special events
Marketing, Communications, Organizational Communication, Sales, Writing Studies, Public Relations, Media & Culture Studies, Business.
To apply submit the following as a complete package:
- Application form (completed online)
- Resume with contact information for 2+ academic or professional references
- Cover letter
- A short writing sample (350 - 500 words)
Your cover letter should address the following:
- Your qualifications for this position
- Why you want to serve in this role at The Grand Cinema
- What you hope to learn or accomplish through your internship
- How you are connected to The Grand Cinema
Submit your application materials by mail (Grand Cinema, ATTN Marketing Manager, 606 S Fawcett Ave, Tacoma, WA 98402), at the Grand Cinema Box Office, or via email at email@example.com, subject line: Marketing Intern Application ATTN: Marketing Manager.
Priority consideration will be given to those with a demonstrated interest in independent films, nonprofit organizations, and careers in marketing and communications. For additional information about eligibility and application process, read the directions listed at the end of the position application form.
No phone calls please.