Expectations of Grand Board Members
- Be a current member of the Grand.
- Show philanthropic engagement with the Grand (donations).
- Serve on a subcommittee.
- Come to meetings prepared.
- Bring a collaborative attitude and presence.
- Attend Grand onsite and offsite events (1-2 per year).
- Represent the Grand to donors and other partners.
F.A.Q. about board service
The Board sets policies, develops strategic plans for the future, provides fiscal oversight, helps with fundraising efforts, and advocates for the theater within the community. (Note: the board does not select films to be screened or involve itself in day-to-day operations.)
- My personal and career experiences are diverse - am I a good candidate for the board?
Yes! In order to govern in support of the organizational mission to enrich lives and enhance the cultural vitality of the Greater Tacoma community through the art of film, the Grand Cinema seeks board members that broadly represent the community, and who bring a variety of lived experiences, cultural, and economic backgrounds to the role.
- I’m a busy person. Do I have time to be on the board?
The Grand Cinema Board meets monthly, and Board members are asked to participate on a subcommittee (which typically meets once per month as well). Board members also lend their support at Grand Cinema events at the theater and other venues in the community. Board members agree to serve a three-year term with the option of returning for a second, three-year term.
- How do Grand Cinema board members engage with the community?
Staffing the Grand Cinema booth at local street fairs, cheering on the filmmakers in the 253 Short Film Competition, chatting with neighbors about upcoming films, and sharing social media posts about the Tacoma Film Festival are just a few examples of how folks on the Board share their enthusiasm and knowledge about the Grand with our community. Board members can most often be found in the audience at the Grand!
- I know someone who would be a great candidate for board membership. How can I get them involved?
Share our webpage with them so they can learn more about the board and invite them to apply for a board seat via this online application form. Applications are accepted throughout the year but must be submitted by January 20 to be considered for terms that begin in March of the following year.