TACOMA FILM FESTIVAL - DIRECTOR
The Tacoma Film Festival, a program of the nonprofit Grand Cinema, seeks a Film Festival Director. The Tacoma Film Festival is entering its 13th year, and we are looking for a creative and visionary person to continue to develop the festival’s reputation as a vital Pacific Northwest event. The Tacoma Film Festival is an increasingly visible destination for filmmakers to visit and share their works with a community that is passionate about the broad scope of the art of film, the power of storytelling, and the importance of collective experiences in art.
STATUS: This is a full-time year-round position.
SUPERVISION: The Festival Director performs all duties and responsibilities subject to the supervision of The Grand Cinema’s Executive Director and Assistant Executive Director.
SUPERVISES: The Festival Director supervises a portion of the work of The Grand Cinema/TFF’s marketing and operations staff time in connection with festival activities, and recruits seasonal festival volunteers and interns to help carry out many of the duties outlined in the job description below.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The Film Festival Director, under the supervision of The Executive Director and the Assistant Executive Director, shapes the artistic vision and growth of the Tacoma Film Festival, and oversees staff and volunteers in connection with the daily management of the festival. The director also participates in various events, activities, and tasks at The Grand Cinema as needed throughout the year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Execute a timeline and workplan for the management of the festival and ensure that it operates smoothly and deadlines are met.
- Act as a spokesperson and ambassador for the festival.
- Recruit and supervise seasonal interns and volunteers.
- Oversee all aspects of programming the festival, both curatorial and administrative, including working with volunteer submission reviewing committees.
- Build and maintain professional relationships with filmmakers, distributors, and industry professionals locally and nationally.
- Oversee the coordination of guest filmmaker/actor travel, and ensure a positive experience for visiting filmmakers.
- Maintain data integrity and updates in the festival database ZoneFestival.
- Oversee the production of the festival program and printed schedule.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned by The Grand Cinema ED and Assistant Executive Directors. These vary but are typical operational duties of an art house cinema, including but not limited to box office reports, assistance with events and marketing, and general help around the cinema. Percentage of work between TFF and The Grand is approximately 65/35.
- Equivalent experience in the field. Past position experience examples are Associate Festival Director, Festival Director, Lead Programmer, etc.
- Strong leadership and communication skills.
- Excellent project coordination, time management, and organizational skills with the ability to juggle and prioritize multiple projects.
- Attention to detail and concern for accuracy.
- Experience with budgeting and financial management of events.
- Must be motivated and act with little supervision. A strong work ethic is key to this position. The director will be adept at handling urgent situations.
- Ability to troubleshoot, to achieve conflict resolution, and to work calmly under pressure.
- A creative thinker who is resourceful in solving problems. Being able to work with a team collaboratively is a must.
- Proven record of excellence and achievement in film exhibitions and/or film festivals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Experience in writing film summaries.
- Strong knowledge of the film industry, preferably with already established relationships with film distributors and filmmakers.
- Knowledge of technical formats for film and digital video projection as well as film traffic logistics.
- Must be flexible and willing to work long hours or weeknights and weekends when necessary.
- Ability to lift 40 lbs. and to sit or stand at a computer for long periods of time.
- Ability to supervise and delegate, but when necessary, help at all levels of the theatrical and festival business.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Experience with G Suite, Office, Mailchimp, Slack, Veezi Ticketing and Zone Festival CRM software experience desired
- Video/film production experience a plus
PLEASE PROVIDE IN PDF FORM:
- Cover letter
- Writing sample
- Salary requirements for the position
Send materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls please