253 Short Film Competition
COMPETITION DATES: APRIL 27 - 30, 2017
team registration opens March 1, 2017
then, watch the films at the 253 short Film Party
Watch for team registration to open the last week in February 2017. Check back soon for the exact date. Registration spaces sold out in advance last year, so we suggest signing up promptly as soon as registration opens.
Formerly known as the 72 Hour Film Competition, the 253 Short Film Competition allows aspiring, amateur, and established area filmmakers the opportunity to create short films that will be celebrated with hundreds of people at a viewing party on Friday May 12, 2017.
How it works:
- Register your team (or sign up as a solo filmmaker competitor) at The Grand's box office before spaces run out (only 31 teams can participate).
- All teams meet at The Grand to receive this year's four required criteria and the green light to begin filming April 27, 2017.
- Teams have 72 hours to write, shoot, and edit a short film.
- Films must be no more than two-hundred and fifty-three seconds long (a nod to our area code).
- Films must incorporate all four required elements announced on April 27, 2017.
- Finalized projects are due at The Grand Cinema box office on the following Sunday night (April 30,2017).
- Judges review all films to determine multiple awards.
- All submitted films are screened at the 253 Short Film Party on Friday May 12, 2017.
- Prizes are awarded for Jury and Audience favorites.
Team registration fee: $50
What you get:
- Four tickets to the screening party
- Recognition at the screening party
- Visibility for your creation before an audience of several hundred people
- The opportunity to compete for the following additional recognition and prizes:
- Jury Award & cash prize
- Audience Choice Award & cash prize
- "Best Use" of a required criteria element
- The opportunity for your challenge team to enter one film for free submission to the 2017 Tacoma Film Festival
- Opportunities to win additional prizes when you share snippets of your filming progress on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #253Seconds